Estimated Time Per Pom Pom: 3-5 minutes
Supplies Needed: Scissors, Tissue Paper and Floral Wire
1. Choose your color(s) of tissue paper. If you want your pom pom bigger, you will use more tissue paper. For this tutorial I used two pieces of tissue paper. Fold the tissue paper in half (the tissue paper I used is 13" x 19.5" when folded.)
2. Begin folding the tissue paper accordion style in 1.5" sections.
3. Take a piece of 18" floral wire and fold in half. Then place accordion style tissue paper in between the floral wire and twist the floral wire so it is secure, but don't twist it too tight.
4. Use scissors to cut either rounded or pointed edges (I cut rounded because I like the finished look better than the pointed ones I have seen online.)
5. Separate layers individually, starting with the tissues on one side of the floral wire at a time. Separate the inner most layer first by bringing it to the center, then the next layer and so on, (if you used two pieces of tissue paper you should have four layers on each side of the floral wire.) Then separate the other side. Don't worry if you tear the tissue paper a little bit, there is so much going on that you won't be able to notice any little imperfections.
6. Decide how you want to decorate! I will be using this pom pom and the others I made tonight at a friends Baby Shower in April. I haven't decided if I am going to hang them with ribbons from the ceiling or make a garland of pom pom flowers. I have added some cool ways to decorate with your pom pom flowers at the bottom of this post.
|Floral wire from Michael's. $3|
|Two pieces of tissue paper, folded in half.|
|Fold 1.5 inch sections accordion style.|
|Finished accordion fold.|
|Take an 18 inch piece of floral wire and fold in half over tissue paper.|
|Twist floral wire at center of tissue paper.|
|Using scissors, cut rounded or pointed ends.|
|Rounded ends cut on both sides.|
|Begin to pull the layers apart, towards the center.|
|One side complete.|
|Tissue pom pom flower.|
Here are some examples of how to decorate with your pom poms.
(All below pictures are from Pinterest.)
|Pom Pom Mobile.|
|This is adorable, pom pom cupcake toppers. |
I will have to try this out.
|Pom Pom Garland.|
I love the different patterned tissue paper.
|Pretty table setting. |